Qualifications : LLB, University of Canterbury.
Mark is an experienced advocate who has worked extensively in the employment, civil, health and safety, regulatory enforcement and commercial sectors.
Over the last 15 years Mark has focused on employment and health and safety law, and has developed deep expertise in those areas. With a special interest in health and safety and employment law, Mark has acted for employer and employee clients in a wide range of situations. Mark’s extensive specialist knowledge is complemented by a pragmatic approach to litigation. He prides himself on listening to clients and working to achieve solutions that best meet their needs. Mark is a seasoned and effective advocate and can forcefully represent his clients in Court when this is required.
Mark is a recommended lawyer in The Legal 500 for Asia Pacific, 2022.
Areas of expertise
- Coronial Inquests
- Employment Law
- Health and Safety
- NZ Sports Tribunal Proceedings
- Regulatory Enforcement
- Regulatory Prosecution and Defence
- Sports Law
- Recommended Lawyer, Dispute Resolution, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020, 2021 and 2022
- Mark was a guest speaker at the 2016 National Employment Law Conference presenting a paper on the practical aspects of running a case in the Employment Relations Authority.
- Former Director of the Chiefs Super Rugby Franchise
- Former Director Waikato Rugby Union
- A founding Trustee of Sport Waikato
- Past member of the Board of Trustees, Waikato Diocesan School
- Past Chairman of Partners, Tompkins Wake
- Wally v Gallagher Group Limited – lead counsel in a Court of Appeal case involving covenants in restraint of trade
- Clear v Waikato District Health Board - a high profile case (resolved in the Court of Appeal) on the obligations on an employer when a complaint of bullying has been made
- International Court of Arbitration, London – appeared as counsel for a New Zealand client on a commercial civil dispute
“I’ve changed my mind” – The Implications of a Buoyant Labour Market
Currently some employees (or prospective employees) looking for work have many options to choose from. Businesses are having to manage a buoyant labo...
Lime Scooters - a new option
The recent introduction of Lime Scooters to New Zealand’s major cities has presented people with the option to glide quickly and effortlessly across t...
Health and Safety at Work Act 2015
New Zealand’s poor health and safety record in the workplace has led to significant reforms in the law and the organisations governing this area.In Ju...