Privacy and Data Protection
New and emerging technologies, the shift to digital work practices, personal data collection and our ever-increasing digital footprints make cybersecurity and data protection crucial to individuals and business alike.
Our privacy experts regularly advise public, commercial and private clients on complex privacy matters relating to the application and implications of privacy legislation including:
- Data protection issues
- Identity theft, fraud and hacking/phishing attacks
- Data breach and mandatory breach notifications
- Privacy Act obligations, guidance, procedures and policies
- Privacy issues across the employment life cycle from recruitment and onboarding (reference/fit and proper person checks, drug and alcohol testing, medical/physical checks), requests for personal information, medical incapacitation, disciplinary and performance management and restructuring.
We frequently advise New Zealand businesses on their international privacy and data protection obligations, including GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) and CCPA (California Consumer Privacy Act) and we advise multinational clients on cross-border privacy issues and their compliance with New Zealand privacy obligations.
Our privacy experts are up to date with the latest privacy developments.
Areas of expertise:
- Privacy Act
- Cybersecurity Law
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Data Privacy Law
- Privacy Law and Privacy Commission Investigations
- Privacy Policies
- Privacy Act Obligations and Compliance
- Employment Privacy