Qualifications : LLB, University of Otago.
Advising clients on all aspects of property law, Campbell has particular expertise in the overseas investment regime, Crown minerals, and the emissions trading scheme, and assists domestic and international clients in these areas.
Campbell is a property and real estate expert, with a specialist focus on agribusiness, trust structuring and local government property.
Campbell provides commercial and not-for-profit entities with structure, regulatory and governance advice, and works with Tompkins Wake's private clients, specialising in succession planning, asset protection and trusts.
Campbell is noted in The Legal 500 for Asia Pacific as a Recommended Lawyer.
- "Campbell is very approachable. He is happy to discuss issues over the phone and take ownership to resolve them rather than spend time writing emails." - Client feedback, The Legal 500, Asia Pacific Region, Real Estate and Construction 2022
Areas of expertise
- Agribusiness Transactions
- Agribusiness - Structuring
- Charities and Incorporated Societies
- Commercial Property Transactions
- Crown Minerals - Oil and Gas
- Emissions Trading Scheme
- Local Government Property
- Overseas Investment
- Succession Planning
- Trusts and Asset Protection
- Wills and Estate Planning
- Member, New Zealand Law Society - Property Section
- Trustee, Stop the Bus Charitable Trust
- Recommended Lawyer, Real Estate and Construction, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021, 2022, 2023 and 2024
- Tompkins Wake, 2012 - present
- Preston Russell, 2011 - 2012
- Chapman Tripp, 2008 - 2010
Campbell routinely acts for local authorities and landowners on property and infrastructure matters, including public works acquisitions and disposals. Campbell assists mining clients with landowner access arrangements (including with the Crown), compliance with the Crown Minerals Act and other regulatory matters. With our private clients, Campbell regularly designs and implements trust structures and succession strategies for successful families across New Zealand.
- Advised a leading international technology company on its establishment of a ‘world first’ operations base in New Zealand, including obtaining overseas investment consent for that organisation.
- Advised Coeur Mining, Inc. on the acquisition Todd Corporation's joint venture interest in the Golden Cross gold mine, including obtaining overseas investment consent to the transaction.
- Advised ASX-listed Skydive The Beach Group (now Experience Co) on property and foreign investment aspects of its acquisition of Skydive Queenstown and Skydive Wanaka.
- Advised the Ata Rangi Pastoral group on its acquisition of a large forestry block for conversion to 5 dairy farms, including property, forestry and ETS aspects, and continues to advise on day to day matters, particularly where forestry and farming interests intersect.
- Led the property and trust aspects involved in implementing a complex relationship property settlement and subsequent group restructure.
- Assisted New Zealand Energy Corp. with its acquisition of the Waihapa Production Station and related property assets, including advising on its overseas investment application and large scale property due diligence.
No-access clause for all commercial leases
The Government passed the COVID-19 Response (Management Measures) Legislation Bill on 28 October 2021, which will amend the Property Law Act to imply ...
Fees to increase for Overseas Investors
From 13 September 2021, overseas investors in ‘sensitive’ New Zealand land or businesses will face higher application fees. The Overseas Investment Of...
End of temporary notification regime for overseas investment
On 25 May 2021, the Government announced that it would replace the temporary notification regime for overseas investments, which had been introduced l...
Court upholds sensible approach to local authority works on private property
Local authorities have a power to construct works on private property under s 181 of the Local Government Act 2002 with the consent of the owner or af...
New process for calculating court-awarded interest
A new process for calculating Court-awarded interest on debt and compensation claims (‘money claims’) is now in place, since the Interest on Money Cla...