Qualifications : LLB, GradDip (Mgt), University of Waikato.
Scott is a highly experienced commercial lawyer with specialist expertise in commercial property, construction and development, banking and finance law and in the syndication and securitisation of investments relating to commercial property.
Scott leads Tompkins Wake's commercial property practice and combines his legal expertise with a deep understanding of our clients’ business to provide high-level commercial advice. Scott uses his expertise to navigate complex regulatory environments delivering our clients practical and effective solutions to their often complex financial deals and transactions.
Scott has a thorough understanding of the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter Financing of Terrorism Act and the Financial Markets Conduct Act.
As a talented and accomplished musician, Scott also has a strong interest in Events and Venue-related law, advising promoters and venue owners on a wide range of commercial and contractual legal matters.
Scott is ranked as a leading lawyer in the Asia Pacific region in construction and real estate law by both The Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners.
- "Scott Ratuki leads the commercial property department and has an excellent track record in handling large-scale commercial developments and subdivisions." - Editorial, The Legal 500, Asia Pacific, Real Estate and Construction 2024
- "Scott is very good to work with, understands our business well and is one of the best lawyers I've worked with throughout my career in property." - Client feedback, Chambers and Partners, Asia Pacific, Real Estate 2023
Areas of expertise
- Banking and Finance
- Commercial Law
- Commercial Property Transactions
- Construction Contracts
- Corporate Structuring/Restructuring
- Event and Venue Hire Agreements
- Financial Markets Conduct Act
- Financial Sector Regulation (AML/CFT)
- Joint Ventures
- Limited Partnerships
- Property and Construction Finance
- Shareholder Agreements
- Subdivisions and Property Development
- Earthquake - Commercial Property
- Current Chair, Tompkins Wake Board of Partners
- Board Member, Waikato Pacific Business Network
- Trustee, Waikato Regional Property Trust
- Trustee, Enrich+
- Ranked in Chambers and Partners, Asia-Pacific Guide 2023 & 2024 | Real Estate | Band 4
- Recommended Lawyer, Real Estate and Construction, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023 and 2024
- Advising numerous investors on the purchase of commercial properties and the development of various forms of investment vehicle for the ownership of commercial property.
- Advising a bank on the financing arrangements for a hotel extension.
- Advising a subsidiary of Belgium Post on its leasing arrangements in New Zealand.
- Acting for a private hospital operator on all aspects of the acquisition, redevelopment and construction of a private hospital (in various stages).
- Acting for a developer in relation to all aspects of the acquisition, leasing, redevelopment and sale of the Genesis Building in central Hamilton.
- Acting for various commercial property owners and developers in relation to issues arising from various earthquakes (including advising on earthquake strengthening repairs and associated works).
- Acting for Oyster Property Group in the creation of its direct property fund including all disclosure documentation and the trust deed governing the fund.
- Acted for a Local Government client in relation to seismic issues in respect of a public venue.
Government Review of the Retirement Villages Act 2003
On Wednesday, 2 August, the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development unveiled the much-anticipated discussion paper titled "The Retirement Villages A...
Flexible, innovative thinking required in building consent review
New Zealand’s building and regulatory consent system is under pressure. Submissions closed last month on a wide-ranging review of the building consent...
Is relief coming for large summer events?
Last summer, New Zealand was the envy of the world, as we attended concerts, sporting events, and socialised freely without masks or social distancing...
Can a COVID pass save summer?
Seven weeks into lockdown, the Government has abandoned its elimination strategy. New Zealand is now transitioning to living with COVID-19, and effort...
New rules and penalties for retentions regime
The Construction Contracts Act 2002 (CCA) was intended to significantly change the way that payments were made in the construction industry by encoura...
Tompkins Wake assists Eden Park with SIX60 concert
Tompkins Wake was delighted to assist The Eden Park Trust with negotiations and drafting of the Venue Hire Agreement for the first-ever concert held a...
ADLS Lease No Access Provisions and Covid-19
During Covid-19 related lockdowns in 2020, the no-access provision in the Auckland District Law Society (ADLS) deed of lease (clause 27.5) gained lots...
New Purchase Price Allocation rules from 1 April 2021
Are you planning on buying or selling a business? The IRD has changed the rules around how the purchase price is allocated to business assets to avoid...