Qualifications : LLB, GradDip (Mgt), University of Waikato.
Scott is a commercial lawyer with specialist expertise in commercial property construction and development, banking and finance law and in syndication and securitisation of investments relating to commercial property.
Scott leads Tompkins Wake's commercial property practice and combines his legal expertise with a deep understanding of our clients’ business to provide high-level commercial advice. Scott uses his expertise to navigate complex regulatory environments delivering our clients practical and effective solutions to their often complex financial deals and transactions.
Scott has a thorough understanding of the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter Financing of Terrorism Act and the Financial Markets Conduct Act.
As a talented and accomplished musician, Scott also has a strong interest in Events and Venue related law, advising promoters and venue owners on a wide range of commercial and contractual legal matters.
Scott is ranked in AsiaLaw Profiles as a notable practitioner in construction and real estate law for the Asia Law 2020 edition. He has also been noted as a recommended lawyer in The Legal 500 for Asia Pacific 2020 and 2021.
Areas of expertise
- Banking and Finance
- Commercial Law
- Commercial Property Transactions
- Construction Contracts
- Corporate Structuring/Restructuring
- Event and Venue Hire Agreements
- Financial Markets Conduct Act
- Financial Sector Regulation (AML/CFT)
- Joint Ventures
- Limited Partnerships
- Property and Construction Finance
- Shareholder Agreements
- Earthquake - Commercial Property
- Board Member, Tompkins Wake Board of Partners
- Trustee, Waikato Regional Property Trust
- Trustee, Enrich+
- Recommended Lawyer, Real Estate and Construction, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020 and 2021
- Advising numerous investors on the purchase of commercial properties and the development of various forms of investment vehicle for the ownership of commercial property.
- Advising a bank on the financing arrangements for a hotel extension.
- Advising a subsidiary of Belgium Post on its leasing arrangements in New Zealand.
- Acting for a private hospital operator on all aspects of the acquisition, redevelopment and construction of a private hospital (in various stages).
- Acting for a developer in relation to all aspects of the acquisition, leasing, redevelopment and sale of the Genesis Building in central Hamilton.
- Acting for various commercial property owners and developers in relation to issues arising from various earthquakes (including advising on earthquake strengthening repairs and associated works).
- Acting for Oyster Property Group in the creation of its direct property fund including all disclosure documentation and the trust deed governing the fund.
- Acted for a Local Government client in relation to seismic issues in respect of a public venue.
Can a COVID pass save summer?
Seven weeks into lockdown, the Government has abandoned its elimination strategy. New Zealand is now transitioning to living with COVID-19, and effort...
New rules and penalties for retentions regime
The Construction Contracts Act 2002 (CCA) was intended to significantly change the way that payments were made in the construction industry by encoura...
Tompkins Wake assists Eden Park with SIX60 concert
Tompkins Wake was delighted to assist The Eden Park Trust with negotiations and drafting of the Venue Hire Agreement for the first-ever concert held a...
ADLS Lease No Access Provisions and Covid-19
During Covid-19 related lockdowns in 2020, the no-access provision in the Auckland District Law Society (ADLS) deed of lease (clause 27.5) gained lots...
Buying or selling a business: new Purchase Price Allocation rules from 1 April 2021
Are you planning on buying or selling a business? The IRD has changed the rules around how the purchase price is allocated to business assets to avoid...