Qualifications : LLB (First Class Hons), BCom, University of Otago.
Kerri is an experienced corporate and commercial lawyer who joined Tompkins Wake in 2020 as a partner. Kerri is a proactive and effective professional who is often commended by clients for her responsiveness and project contributions. Her skills have been recognised by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020 as 'Next Generation Partner' and 'Recommended Lawyer' for 2021 and 2022.
Kerri has a successful practice focused on transactional M&A matters and other corporate and commercial work, including negotiating significant commercial contracts, business structuring and advisory work, securities legislation and regulatory compliance matters.
Kerri works with clients across a range of industries, from start-ups to SMEs to leading corporates, private companies, listed companies, private equity funds, financial institutions and professional services firms. Her broad corporate and commercial experience, including valuable perspective she gained working within various commercial organisations as an in-house counsel, means she is an effective advisor to businesses.
Areas of expertise
- Capital Raising
- Commercial Contracts
- Corporate Structuring/Restructuring
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Private Equity
- Shareholder Agreements
- Shareholder Disputes
- Venture Capital
- Employment Law (non-contentious)
- Branding and Licensing
- NZ Private Capital, Member
- Highly Regarded Lawyer, M&A, IFLR 2022
- Next Generation Partner, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020 (and as Next Generation Lawyer in 2019 and 2018)
- Recommended Lawyer, Corporate and M&A, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021 and 2022
- Auckland Women Lawyers' Association, Member
- TRI NZ, Member
Kerri has had a leading role in a significant number of M&A transactions from both the buy and sell side, and has advised on a wide range of corporate and day-to-day commercial matters.
- The sale of Waipa Networks' 15% shareholding in Ultrafast Fibre Limited in relation to which conditional sale agreement has been signed for $854 million
- The NZ aspects of the sale of Horizon Global's Australasian operations (now renamed AutoPacific)
- The sale of Decortech Ltd and Plytech Ltd to ASX listed Big River Industries
- The sale of recruitment agency Madison by NZX-listed AWF Group
- The sale of Fusion Electronics and its subsidiaries (located in four countries) to Garmin
- Rothbury Group becoming the founding New Zealand member of Australian insurance broking network Steadfast, making it the largest such network in Australasia
- The sale of all of the assets and business of a medical centre to private equity interests
- The cross-border acquisition by ANL, a subsidiary of CMG-CGM, of a regional NZ shipping line
- The refinancing of significant vendor finance provided by Huawei to 2degrees
- Transitioning various clients to the new securities law regime under the Financial Markets Conduct Act
- The private equity investment, alongside executive management, in a significant health information technology company
- The sale of a biodiesel manufacturing business and the transfer of worldwide patent and other intellectual property assets
- Establishment of a New Zealand start-up for investment (through US start-up) to commercialise emerging battery technology and the monetization of related IP licensing streams, including fundraising and securities law advice
- The sale by a managed investment scheme of a portfolio of 17 supermarket properties throughout New Zealand
- Acting for multiple professional firms (accounting and legal) in connection with constitutional arrangements, internal structuring, and exit arrangements
- Acting for clients in various industries on NZ establishment and shareholders’ arrangements (whether as majority, equal or minority shareholder)
Kerri has gained valuable perspective and experience working within commercial organisations as in-house counsel, including for Vector, Vodafone New Zealand and for BP Middle East.
Tompkins Wake advises Vesper Marine on its sale to Garmin
Tompkins Wake is pleased to have acted for Vesper Marine in its acquisition by NYSE listed multinational technology group Garmin International. Vesper...
Tompkins Wake advises on $854m strategic infrastructure sale
Tompkins Wake is pleased to have advised the WEL Energy Trust and Waipa Networks on the sale of Ultrafast Fibre Holdings (UFFH) to First State Investm...