Qualifications : BCom, LLB University of Auckland.
Tom is a corporate and commercial law specialist with more than 15 years’ experience practicing law. Tom joined Tompkins Wake in 2012 and acts as a trusted advisor to businesses and high net worth families, using his extensive experience to deliver pragmatic advice tailored to meet commercial objectives.
A recommended lawyer in The Legal 500 for Asia Pacific, Tom leads our Auckland office and is also a member of Tompkins Wake's Board of Partners.
"smart, accessible and, in the heat of a deal, honest; he has a tremendous read of the situation" - Client feedback, The Legal 500, 2018
Areas of expertise
- Capital Raising
- Corporate Advisory
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate Restructuring
- Employee Share Schemes
- Joint Ventures
- Limited Partnerships
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Private Equity
- Shareholder Disputes
- Trusts and Asset Protection
- Corporate Insolvency
- Director, Depot Investments Ltd
- Member of the New Zealand Law Society and the Institute of Directors
- Tompkins Wake, Board of Partners
- Recommended Lawyer, Corporate and M&A in The Legal 500 for Asia Pacific 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021
Tom has advised:
- Israeli biotech company Algatech in relation to its investment in Supreme Health, a New Zealand manufacturer of health supplements. This is believed to be the first biotech deal between New Zealand and Israel.
- KCL Property, New Zealand’s largest property syndicator with $850m of property under management, on the sale of the business to listed fund manager Augusta Capital Limited.
- Cardlink Group on its sale to NYSE-listed company, FleetCor Technologies Inc.
- The owners of Apex Valves Limited on the sale of a majority shareholding in the business to NYSE-listed Watts Water Technologies.
- A private investment company on the acquisition of The Ultimate Care Group Limited, a nationwide residential aged care services provider, from ANZ Capital.
- ASX-listed Skydive The Beach Group on its acquisition of Skydive Queenstown and Skydive Wanaka.
- Havas Worldwide on its entry into the NZ advertising and media market through the acquisition of local agency, Mr Smith.
- Coeur Mining Inc. on the acquisition Todd Corporation's joint venture interest in the Golden Cross gold mine.
- FleetCor Technologies Inc. on the New Zealand aspects of its US$3.45 billion refinancing and acquisition of Comdata Inc.