Qualifications : BCom, LLB University of Auckland.
Tom is a senior corporate and commercial lawyer with more than 20 years’ experience practicing law. Tom joined Tompkins Wake in 2012 and acts as a trusted advisor to local and multinational businesses, start-ups, founders, family offices and high net worth individuals. Tom is valued by clients for his ability to provide clear, pragmatic and strategic advice and solutions to meet their commercial objectives.
Tom acts on local and cross-border transactions across a number of industries and regularly assists clients with the structuring, negotiation and implementation of complex commercial contracts and projects.
A recommended lawyer in The Legal 500 for Asia Pacific, Tom leads our Auckland office and is also a member of Tompkins Wake’s Board of Partners.
- “I’ve worked extensively with Tom Arieli over many years, and rate him very highly. His knowledge of the corporate law is exemplary, and so is his business acumen.” - Client feedback, The Legal 500, Asia Pacific, Corporate and M&A 2023
Areas of expertise
- Capital Raising
- Corporate Advisory
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate Restructuring
- Employee Share Schemes
- Joint Ventures
- Limited Partnerships
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Private Equity
- Shareholder Disputes
- Corporate Insolvency
- Director, Depot Investments Ltd
- Member of the New Zealand Law Society and the Institute of Directors
- Tompkins Wake, Board of Partners
- Recommended Lawyer, Corporate and M&A in The Legal 500 for Asia Pacific 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023 and 2024
Tom has advised:
- The founder and major shareholder of NZX-listed 2Cheap Cars on the restructuring of the board and subsequent acquisition of a controlling interest.
- ASX-listed Cash Converters International on the acquisition of a 75% interest in Cash Converters NZ.
- Airedale Property Trust on the acquisition of a 50% interest in Everil Orr Village from Oceania Healthcare.
- The director of an NZX-listed company on conflict of interest allegations.
- Property Suite, a leader in the NZ property tech industry, on the sale of its business to MRI Software, a global leader in real estate software.
- Vivo Beauty on an investment by private equity firm, Castlerock Partners.
- McGrathNicol, the administrators of Wirecard NZ, on the sale of the NZ and Australian businesses of Wirecard NZ to ASX listed Change Financial.
- Israeli biotech company Algatech in relation to its investment in Supreme Health, a New Zealand manufacturer of health supplements. This is believed to be the first biotech deal between New Zealand and Israel.
- KCL Property, New Zealand’s largest property syndicator with $850m of property under management, on the sale of the business to listed fund manager Augusta Capital Limited.
- Cardlink Group on its sale to NYSE-listed company, FleetCor Technologies Inc.
- The owners of Apex Valves Limited on the sale of a majority shareholding in the business to NYSE-listed Watts Water Technologies.
- A private investment company on the acquisition of The Ultimate Care Group Limited, a nationwide residential aged care services provider, from ANZ Capital.
- ASX-listed Skydive The Beach Group on its acquisition of Skydive Queenstown and Skydive Wanaka.
- Havas Worldwide on its entry into the NZ advertising and media market through the acquisition of local agency, Mr Smith.
- Coeur Mining Inc. on the acquisition Todd Corporation's joint venture interest in the Golden Cross gold mine.
- FleetCor Technologies Inc. on the New Zealand aspects of its US$3.45 billion refinancing and acquisition of Comdata Inc.
Supreme Court findings on the claim against the Mainzeal directors
Mainzeal, once a leading construction company in New Zealand, entered receivership and subsequently liquidation in 2013, leaving debts of around $110 ...
Tompkins Wake invests in leading governance consultancy
Tompkins Wake has purchased a 50 per cent stake in leading governance advisory Board Dynamics, enabling the duo to enhance their current offering to c...