Restructuring & Insolvency
Our restructuring and insolvency team take a multi-disciplinary approach, assembling experts from across the firm to provide financial, corporate and litigation advice, tailored to achieve the most effective outcome.
Our experts focus on achieving the most effective outcome; our advice is carefully tailored to achieve your desired outcome. Too often, people seek assistance when the company has already failed or is in serious financial difficulty. If you seek legal advice at the first sign of financial difficulty, we can work closely with you to reach the best financial solution. As the law firm at the centre of New Zealand’s economic and commercial heartland, we understand business as few law firms do. We take a multi-disciplinary approach, using experts from across the firm to provide financial, corporate and litigation advice.
We draw on a wealth of experience and depth of knowledge and regularly act for receivers, creditors, lenders, liquidators and other insolvency practitioners, including advising on debt restructuring, recoveries, directors’ duties and insolvent transactions. We regularly assist with complex or cross-border insolvency issues and we have broad experience across numerous industries. We find that when companies experience financial difficulties, frequently the Inland Revenue is a creditor. We have significant experience in acting in tax disputes and reaching compromises and settlements.
Examples of our work:
Our Restructuring & Insolvency team have acted on the following transactions:
- Liquidation of the Property Ventures Group, including proceedings against former directors
- Liquidation of Wirecard NZ Limited
- Appointment of interim liquidators to iconic New Zealand company Pacific Aerospace Limited (NZ Lawyer Insolvency and Restructuring Deal of the Year 2021)
- Receivership of Sacred Hill GroupReceivership of Magsons Hardware (trading as Nido)
Areas of expertise:
- Cross Border Transactions
- Insolvency and Restructuring
- Refinancing and Restructuring
- Organisational Restructuring
- Taxation Disputes