To make an appointment, please contact Jessica Miller firstname.lastname@example.org
Qualifications : BCom, LLB, University of Otago, G Cert App Fin, FINSIA.
Phil is a corporate and commercial lawyer with more than 20 years’ experience. Phil provides clear, knowledgeable, and strategic advice to clients, specialising in mergers and acquisitions and complex corporate transactions. He has a high level of commercial and strategic acumen and constantly seeks innovative ways to deliver value to his clients. Phil’s experience gives him an international perspective and he works with start-ups and growing businesses to get them investment ready and take New Zealand innovation to the world.
Phil joined Tompkins Wake as a partner in 2006, he has international experience working for Australian law firm Gilbert + Tobin, and with Fonterra where he participated in international dealings on a daily basis including the establishment of a $250m joint venture in China.
Phil has been noted as a recommended lawyer in The Legal 500 for Asia Pacific.
Areas of expertise
- Commercial Contracts
- Competition and Regulation
- Construction Contracts
- Corporate Advisory
- Corporate Governance
- Dairy Industry
- Energy Sector - Oil, Gas, Electricity
- Joint Ventures
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Securities - Private Issues
- International Trade
- Chairman of the Board at Sport Waikato
- Chairman (2017-2020), Tompkins Wake Board of Partners
- Finalist for Consumer, Tech and Media Deal of the Year, New Zealand Law Awards 2017
- Finalist for Mid-Market Deal of the Year, New Zealand Law Awards 2018
- Recommended Lawyer, Corporate and M&A in The Legal 500 for Asia Pacific 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023
Phil has acted for and advised:
- Numerous startups on their raises including The Kitchen Collective, Friendly Manager, Tropical Dairy, Rural Energy and Simsage
- Raglan Food Co on the investment by Pioneer Capital
- Optimal Workshop on its $10m injection from Pioneer Capital
- Yabble on its $3.2m bridge round raise
- Lead investor Hillfarrance on the $1.7m syndicated seed investment into Mobli
- On the establishment of the Quidnet Venture Fund
- On the establishment of the Hillfarrance Venture Fund
- NZX-listed AFFCO on the $180 million takeover by Talley Group
- WEL Networks on the $189 million buyout of Waikato Networks from Crown Fibre Holdings with Mark Renner
- Maisey Group on the sale of Instrument Supplies to Riverside Private Equity (sum undisclosed)
- Prolife Foods on the acquisition of Haddrells (sum undisclosed)
- Open Country Cheese Company on the $104 million takeover by Dairy Trust
- Gallagher Group on the acquisition of Australian-based Country Electronics (sum undisclosed)
- Alpine Energy, Counties Power and WEL Networks on the establishment of the Smartco smart meter joint venture
- WEL Networks on the sale of the Te Uku Wind Farm to Meridian Energy
- DEC International on the sale of Dairy Automation to Livestock Improvement Corporation (LIC) (sum undisclosed)
- Holdfast NZ on its sale to Soudal
- Thermo Regulatory Genetics on its start-up capital raise
- Company-X on its acquisition of Pepper Creative
More transparency for business ownership
We believe that it is better to lean in to mega global trends on compliance. The move towards greater transparency in company ownership is one of thes...
Tompkins Wake acts for Yabble on $3.2m bridge round
Tompkins Wake is pleased to have acted for Yabble on its recent successful and over subscribed $3.2m bridge round, including strategy, structure and p...
Data rights coming for New Zealand consumers
A Consumer Data Right (CDR) encourages competition between suppliers of goods and services and makes it easier for consumers to compare products and s...
Compulsory climate-related financial disclosure a step closer for NZ business
New Zealand is now a step closer to becoming the first country in the world to make climate-related risk reporting compulsory for the financial sector...