Qualifications : BCom, LLB, University of Otago, G Cert App Fin, FINSIA.
Phil is a corporate and commercial lawyer with more than 20 years’ experience. Phil provides clear, knowledgeable, and strategic advice to clients, specialising in mergers and acquisitions and complex corporate transactions. He has a high level of commercial and strategic acumen and constantly seeks innovative ways to deliver value to his clients. Phil’s experience gives him an international perspective and he works with start-ups and growing businesses to get them investment ready and take New Zealand innovation to the world.
Phil joined Tompkins Wake as a partner in 2006, he has international experience working for Australian law firm Gilbert + Tobin, and with Fonterra where he participated in international dealings on a daily basis including the establishment of a $250m joint venture in China.
Phil has been noted as a recommended lawyer in The Legal 500 for Asia Pacific.
Areas of expertise
- Commercial Contracts
- Competition and Regulation
- Construction Contracts
- Corporate Advisory
- Corporate Governance
- Dairy Industry
- Energy Sector - Oil, Gas, Electricity
- Joint Ventures
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Securities - Private Issues
- International Trade
- Trustee of Sport Waikato
- Immediate past chairman, Tompkins Wake Board of Partners
- Finalist for Consumer, Tech and Media Deal of the Year, New Zealand Law Awards 2017
- Finalist for Mid-Market Deal of the Year, New Zealand Law Awards 2018
- Recommended Lawyer, Corporate and M&A in The Legal 500 for Asia Pacific 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021
Phil has acted for and advised:
- NZX-listed AFFCO on the $180 million takeover by Talley Group
- WEL Networks on the $189 million buyout of Waikato Networks from Crown Fibre Holdings with Mark Renner
- Maisey Group on the sale of Instrument Supplies to Riverside Private Equity (sum undisclosed)
- Prolife Foods on the acquisition of Haddrells (sum undisclosed)
- Open Country Cheese Company on the $104 million takeover by Dairy Trust
- Gallagher Group on the acquisition of Australian-based Country Electronics (sum undisclosed)
- Alpine Energy, Counties Power and WEL Networks on the establishment of the Smartco smart meter joint venture
- WEL Networks on the sale of the Te Uku Wind Farm to Meridian Energy
- DEC International on the sale of Dairy Automation to Livestock Improvement Corporation (LIC) (sum undisclosed)
- Holdfast NZ on its sale to Soudal
- Thermo Regulatory Genetics on its start-up capital raise
- Company-X on its acquisition of Pepper Creative
Tompkins Wake acts for Yabble on $3.2m bridge round
Tompkins Wake is pleased to have acted for Yabble on its recent successful and over subscribed $3.2m bridge round, including strategy, structure and p...
Data rights coming for New Zealand consumers
A Consumer Data Right (CDR) encourages competition between suppliers of goods and services and makes it easier for consumers to compare products and s...
Compulsory climate-related financial disclosure a step closer for NZ business
New Zealand is now a step closer to becoming the first country in the world to make climate-related risk reporting compulsory for the financial sector...