To make an appointment, please contact Kimberley Irwin firstname.lastname@example.org
Qualifications : LLB (First Class Hons), University of Waikato.
An experienced corporate and commercial lawyer, Mark has been practicing law since 1998 and joined Tompkins Wake in 2009. He brings over 20 years’ experience practicing law, including six years with international firm Shearman and Sterling LLP in New York and Silicon Valley.
Mark became a partner at Tompkins Wake in 2012 and is highly experienced in mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, infrastructure, projects and commercial contracts and all aspects of public and private debt and equity financing, including public securities offerings.
Named as a recommended lawyer in The Legal 500 for Asia Pacific, Mark is also a trusted advisor to our Local Government clients advising on their commercial matters including CCOs, rating and governance.
"Great breath of skills, experience and also geographic coverage. Very commercial and practical, while being across the details."
- Client Feedback, The Legal 500, Asia Pacific Region, Corporate and M&A 2023
Areas of expertise
- Banking and Finance
- Commercial Contracts
- Commercial Law
- Construction Contracts
- Corporate Advisory
- Corporate Governance
- Infrastructure and Projects
- Joint Ventures
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Overseas Investment
- Private Equity
- Public and Private Offerings of Financial Products
- Venture Capital
- Local Government Rating and Revenue
- Committee member of the Waikato branch of the Institute of Directors
- Admitted to the New York Bar
- Finalist for Consumer, Tech and Media Deal of the Year, New Zealand Law Awards 2017
- Recommended Lawyer, Corporate and M&A in The Legal 500 for Asia Pacific 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023
Mark has advised:
- WEL Energy Trust (as sole shareholder of WEL Networks) the sale of WEL Network’s 85% shareholding in Ultrafast Fibre Limited, with total sale price of $854 million
- WEL Networks negotiating key agreements on its joint venture with the Crown to build the communications fibre network in the Central North Island
- WEL Networks on the $189 million buyout of Waikato Networks from Crown Fibre Holdings with Phil Taylor
- Ultrafast Fibre Limited (now Tuatahi First Fibre Ltd) on its contracting and project agreements.
- A number of significant participants in the Manuka honey market on mergers & acquisitions and equity investment.
- Prolife Foods (New Zealand's largest privately owned snack food company) on a number of mergers & acquisitions transactions in the food & beverage sector and advises on key commercial contracts.
- One of New Zealand's largest corporate farming entities on all aspects of the acquisition and financing of a forestry block for conversion to a large scale dairy operation.
- NZX listed Allied Farmers Ltd on corporate restructuring and listed company matters.
- Hamilton City Council on a number of divestments and investments of its assets, including its stake in the Novotel and Ibis Hotels.
- Waikato Regional Council on the contracting and tendering for all of its bus contracts.
- WEL Networks on the refinancing of its bank arrangements, and advises a number of corporate clients on their banking facilities, including receivables financing.
- A significant international company on its construction and equipment projects in New Zealand.
- Nine regional councils on a corporate IT joint venture.
- Waikatolink, the commercialisation arm of the University of Waikato, and its portfolio companies on capital raising, restructuring, licensing and exits, and has advised AgResearch on its joint venture investments in the US.
- Milfos International Limited, on its sale to GEA, the German conglomerate.
- Numerous companies and industries in the United States on IPOS, follow-on and secondary offerings, and stock exchange compliance.
Tompkins Wake advises on $854m strategic infrastructure sale
Tompkins Wake is pleased to have advised the WEL Energy Trust and Waipa Networks on the sale of Ultrafast Fibre Holdings (UFFH) to First State Investm...
Tompkins Wake advises Parking Sense on capital raise
Tompkins Wake advises Parking Sense on capital raisingTompkins Wake has advised Waikato-based Parking Sense on follow-on capital raising round from ex...
Tompkins Wake acts on 11Ants Analytics sale to Air New Zealand
Tompkins Wake, led by Corporate partner, Mark Renner and Senior Associate, Philip Monahan, is pleased to have advised WaikatoLink Limited on the sale ...
Tompkins Wake advises Ligar on capital raise
Tompkins Wake advised Hamilton-based Ligar, the developer of molecularly imprinted polymers (MIPs) for purification and extraction, on its first capit...