Qualifications : BCA, LLB, Victoria University.
Andrew is a Partner in our Rotorua office where he leads our property and private client teams. With significant experience gained in New Zealand and offshore, Andrew specialises in real estate and is highly experienced in property acquisitions and disposals, large scale developments and subdivisions. Andrew has particular expertise in the local government property and Public Works Act compulsory acquisition.
Acting for families in establishing and adapting trust structures, Andrew is a trusted advisor to our private clients advising trustees, directors of family companies and executors on their duties and responsibilities.
Andrew is a recommended lawyer in The Legal 500 for Asia Pacific, 2021.
Areas of expertise
- Commercial Law
- Commercial Property Transactions
- Large Scale Development
- Local Government Property
- Public Works Act
- Succession Planning
- Trusts and Asset Protection
- Wills and Estate Planning
- Subdivisions and Property Development
- Reserves and Endowment Land
- Member, Rules Committee, Athletics New Zealand
- Head Judge, Westpac Rotorua Business Resilience Awards 2020
- Recommended Lawyer, Real Estate and Construction, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021
- Acted for various nationwide supermarket and retail chains on property acquisitions, developments and leasing.
- Advised successful consortia on property due diligence for significant Public Private Partnerships, including Schools 2, Schools 3, Puhoi to Warkworth Road of National Significance, Auckland Prison and Tauranga Social Housing Reform.
- Acted for local authorities, including Hamilton City Council, Rotorua Lakes Council, Christchurch City Council and Napier City Council on property and infrastructure matters.
- Acted for central government, local authorities, requiring authorities and private landowners on various public works acquisitions, disposals and issues, including Roads of National Significance projects and irrigation schemes expansions.
- Acted for a significant Canadian oil company on the acquisition, development and leasing of property for its retail store network.
- Acted for and advised individual and SME clients on a wide range of land transactions, subdivisions and developments, leasing and general property matters.
- Acted for individual and SME clients on the acquisition and disposal of businesses and associated property interests.
- Advised clients on trusts and succession planning, including trust formation and administration, will preparation and powers of attorney.
Making a counteroffer: what to know before you sign on the dotted line
When buying or selling a property, price negotiations are very common, especially in New Zealand’s currently overheated housing market. A recent High ...
Bright-line test extended to 10 years
You can read more about other changes for property investors in the Government’s housing policy in our previous article.On 23 March 2021, the Governme...
Changes for property investors in the Government's new housing policy
New rules for property investors will take effect from 27 March 2021 as part of the Government’s shake-up of housing policy. The changes are designed ...
Tompkins Wake new naming rights sponsor for prestigious Rotorua Business Awards
Tompkins Wake is thrilled to be the new naming rights sponsor for the Rotorua Business Awards, which celebrate innovation, growth and creativity in th...
Bright-line test extended to 5 years
As signalled by the Government during the 2017 election and again in February 2018, the bright-line test for tax on the disposal of residential land h...